Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 13, 2011

Strawberry Picking!

This Saturday we hit the strawberry patch! Not the same strawberry patch that we usually hit, however, because the place we normally go to decided not to do strawberries this year...bummer. But, I put up my antennae, and many of my moms in the know directed me to several other strawberry patches to try! I still haven't made it to any of those, because I got distracted by finding another one. I was on my way to do a live broadcast when I stumbled upon a strawberry farm. I called the family and told them to meet me there and get ready to pick! It was raining, so we only picked a little over six pounds. We did manage to have a good time, though and even ate a few!






I tried strawberry freezer jam for the first time last year, and it turned out so well, and became such a favorite in the household that I am sure I'll be making it every year now. I also want to try these strawberry muffins that a friend of mine directed me towards. They sound so yummy!

I also really want to try to make my own strawberry vinaigrette for salads. I love to throw some pecans on a spinach salad and a freshly made strawberry vinaigrette sounds to die for! So, I am going to be making some using this recipe from Allrecipes.com: 

  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 pint fresh strawberries, halved
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
Mix it all in a blender or food processor, until smooth and voila!

2 comments:

  1. Score! The kids are so cute picking and eating those strawberries. We just went and picked peaches last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, peaches! Thanks, Holly...I think they are pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete