Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Last Day Of Swimming Lessons!

Today was the last day of swimming lessons for Jonathan this year. The mommy group I was in for several years led me to a wonderful instructor who does lessons in her backyard pool. She has been doing it since she was a teenager and is wonderful with kids...she is quite known in the "moms" circle. Anyway, I decided to put Jonathan in lessons last year at the age of 5 and he did really well. He can tend to be shy in crowds so I thought that the YMCA would be too intimidating for him. Here the class size is limited to six kids. I was a little surprised that kids as young as 3 were in his class though, I thought 5 was an appropriate age to start swimming lessons. That meant a few kids were younger than him, but he didn't seem to mind.

Last year, he was a little apprehensive to dive off the diving board, but this year, he jumped off with ease.



I am so glad that he is learning to swim! I have spent most of my life afraid of the water and didn't really learn to swim until I was in high school and really only picked up some basics, you know, the basics that Jonathan already knows! Since I don't enjoy swimming all that much, it is important to me to make sure my kids have respect for swimming pools and manage themselves in the water. Jonathan is doing such a good job that I have opted to only do one session of lessons this year. Now, it's time to enjoy a summer full of swimming!

2 comments:

  1. Proud of you for having him take lessons. You know, it's never too late for you to start loving the pool. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I am more of a beach goer! I like the lazy wading:)

    ReplyDelete